Thursday, April 18, 2019

How to Make Woodgrain Paper with Mist

Here's a tutorial on a pair of Porthole Cards with tips on how to make wood grain paper with mist. I used two different patterned papers with similar results. The mermaids are different styles depending on the amount of time you have. Enjoy the tutorial!
~ Ahoy There ~
I started with patterned paper in blue. I needed to change the color as well as enhance the grain. I used mist in a medium and a dark brown to create the look I wanted. 
 Step 1: Paint paper with medium brown mist. Use a light layer, too much will saturate the card front.
 Step 2: Paint dark brown stripes over medium brown while it is still wet. This will help the colors meld and give the wood grain effect. If the stripes are too extreme go over the paper with the medium brown a second time.
 The original paper beside the new, wood grain effect gives you a good idea of the change. The second card front also started out blue. I gave the card a medium brown wash and let the existing wood grain shine through. Mist and a paint brush is all it takes.
 The porthole is stamped onto grey cardstock and cut out with Kreaxions Circle Cutter. I adhered it directly to the card front.
 I applied liquid adhesive and craft foam to the back of the card front then left it to dry.
 I diecut the mermaid from script patterned paper then painted on the particulars. you can see the before and after above.
 Mermaid Painting Guide
Step 1: Paint the tale leaving a curve where it meets the body.
Step 2: Paint hair in gold. Use small thin strokes.
Step 3: Paint locks of hair in dark green using medium strokes.
Step 4: Add additional locks of hair in teal using thick strokes.
 By the time my mermaid had dried my card front was also ready. I adhered the mermaid to the center of a blue card blank then added the porthole/wood grain over the top. The second card features a mermaid sticker and is much quicker to make. 
Whether you prefer the painted diva or the pre-cut sticker, this porthole card is sure to please!

Craft On!

~charity hotrum~

No comments:

Post a Comment