Thursday, December 1, 2016

Christmas Joy

Today's post is a Christmas card I designed for a Professor friend. He loves all things literary and is invited various places to give talks on his favorite authors. A dragon with a horde of books seems to fit him exactly!
~ Christmas Joy ~
This card is constructed with layer upon layer of stamping, embossing, rub-ons, and cardstock. To begin with I cut the Red Glitter Paisley Cardstock to a little less than 5x7. I stamped the dragon in black pigment ink, dusted it with sparkling black powder, and heat embossed it. This process curled the paper heavily but I knew more embossing was on the way so I didn't let it bother me.
The only book stamp I have is a stack of three books so I dipped it in pigment ink and stamped and gold embossed repeatedly on the card. I tried to stack the books up, but the process was a bit haphazard.
The edges of the red paper were rather ink smeared by the time I was finished with the book stamp. I trimmed an 1/8 inch off the sides and a 1/4 inch off the bottom. This gave the impression of even more books, just out of sight.
I layered the dragon on top of the Wedding Cut-Outs Cardstock and the Snow Covered Trees Cardstock so that each layer had an 1/8 inch rim showing and the card fit a 5x7 card blank and envelope. 
With as much embossing as I had done the red cardstock was rather warped. I reheated it from the other side to smooth it out, then stitched all the layers together. The stitching gives the red cardstock a visual frame. It also provides a secure hold for all those layers.
To add the Christmas flavor to the card I used the Christmas Rub-On sheet. I cut the holly garland so that I could add it to the top of the card in a line rather than the corner shape offered.
I inked the edge of the card to give it just a tad bit more definition.
My final step for this card was a sentiment, also from the Christmas Rub-On Sheet. I added it to a strip of the Wedding Cut-Outs Cardstock. I used a corner punch on the end and inked the edges, then adhered it to the card front.
As with any handmade card the best part is the inside inscription. I hope for many years of friendship with my literary friend and many more handmade cards sent off to Mexico!

Supplies:

Cardstock and Rub-ons: The Robin's Nest
Stamps:Stampin' Up and Inkadinkado
Pigment Ink:Clear Snap
Embossing Powder:Wow
Corner Punch #301:Kreaxions

Scrap On!

~charity~

No comments:

Post a Comment