Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Envelope Album

What an exciting post I have today.
I was asked to guest design for Scrapbook Steals and had tons of fun creating with Crate Paper, Restorations for today's steal. The sketches and projects I made can be seen on the Steals Blog
http://scrapbooksteals.stealnetwork.com/wp/2012/01/04/crate-paper-restoration-mid-week-mojo/.
The required page and sketch just weren't enough fun on their own so I decided to include a more involved project. I've been seeing delightful Envelope Albums on various blogs and decided to make the idea my own. Last month I posted instructions for tea staining paper envelopes to change a bright white finish to a vintage hue.
Here is the link if you are interested.
http://www.menemenetekeluniversity.blogspot.com/2011/12/tea-anyone.html
After my envelopes dried to a delightfully lumpy, sepia tone I began embellishing with CP, Restorations. I used the same sketch for the front of each page and a super simple idea for the backs.


I turned my Envelope Album into a photo and letter album for my daughters elderly pen-pal. Now she can adhere the photos they take each month to the envelopes and slip the letters she receives inside.
                                                                        

To hold the envelope flaps down I added buttons. The edge of the flap slips under the button and stays in place without extra tying or attaching for gnarled fingers. I adhered the buttons to the envelopes with twine or hot glue.


Besides fussy cutting various motifs from the Restorations paper pack I also used stamps to create embellishments. I used a mixture of Close To My Heart, Prima, Glitz Design, and Clear Art Stamps in combination with Close To My Heart Inks.


Although I couldn't stitch directly onto the envelopes I enjoyed embellishing the cover pages with bits of machine stitching. I also used Pebbles Inc. stencils to trace the flourishes on the second and third pages.


An assortment of brads, jewels and stickles completed the embellishing. To cover the 2 prong fasteners I used to bind the envelopes, I wrapped a ribbon through and around the punched holes and tied a simple bow.
My daughter's pen-pal was thrilled to receive a handcrafted album for Christmas and I was ecstatic to get the chance to make it for her. Scrapbook Steals, thanks so much for the chance to create with Crate Paper, Restorations as a guest designer!!!

~charity becker~

No comments:

Post a Comment