Wednesday, July 11, 2012

All on a Twiny Day

One day last week I woke up to rain and busy children. They had all gotten up early and were deep into an imaginary game. I prepared their breakfast and headed off to my scraproom,
with a half hearted invitation for them
to join me when they had finished. They tend to play these imaginary games for hours
and hate being disturbed.
Not so much.
They gobbled their food, loaded up their craft supplies, and made it to the scrap room before I had my sketches printed!!!!
We made twine necklaces instead.
I guess those sketches will have to wait.

For the charms we used Tim Holtz
Type Charms, and MME paper.
I added jump rings and strung them
on baker's twine. We used twine by
My Mind's Eye, The Twinery,
and a generic brand from Pick Your Plum.

We dug through my box of broken jewelry and found 3 clasps. After using a Slip knot and two Sailor's knots I snipped the loose end to 1/4 of an inch. Then I got out the glue gun and coated the knots with hot glue. I found that if I used the tip of the hot glue gun to spread the glue the result was similar to a clear sleeve. (the bright blue twine) However, if I let it cool a little and used my fingers to roll it I ended up with a more opaque finish. (red and blue twine) Either way, now they won't be fraying.
(And the kids are pretty happy too! :)


~charity becker~




No comments:

Post a Comment